Via del Moro, 48
055 239 8898
Open for dinner only
Price per person: 40 Euro with out wine
It has been a while since I visited Trattoria Garga. I was beginning to dream of their delicious primi of hand made pasta with simple although tasty sauces. It is still as vibrant and fun as ever. Choose from selected seasonal plates along with Garga signature dishes that include 'Il Magnifico', ' Pasta alla Donna Karen', Garga Salad and Sharon's Cheesecake.
Owner Sharon Oddson and Giuliano Gargani have been running the trattoria for 28 years. Sharon also has a wonderful cooking school.
I often tell my guests on food walks and cooking classes about one of my favorite desserts that I learnt from Sharon. 'Peach and Pistachio Tiramisù' taken from her fantastic Cook Book 'Once Upon a Tuscan Tables: Tales and recipes from Trattoria Garga'.
Peach and Pistachio Tiramisu
6 Yellow peaches
3 cups of water
1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
3/8 cups sugar
3 jumbo eggs
3 tablespoons sugar
10 ounces mascarpone cheese
1 ounce light rum
12 Italian ladyfingers(Savoiardi)
1/2 cup unsalted pistachio's, finely chopped
1. Peel peaches, placing skins and pits in a saucepan. Cut peaches into 1/4 inch slices and set aside
2. Add water, amaretto and 3/8 cup sugar to skins and pits in saucepan. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl, and set syrup aside. Discard skins and pits.
4. Separate egg yolks and whites into two mixing bowls. Beat whites with an electric mixer until they form a stiff peak.
5. Add 3 tablespoons sugar to yolks and beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add mascarpone and beat for another 2 minutes. Add rum and beat for 2 more minutes. Gently fold in egg whites with a rubber spatula
6. Lightly dip ladyfingers in syrup and place in a glass dish large enough to hold them all with out overlapping. Distribute slices peaches evenly over ladyfingers. Spoon mascarpone/ egg mixture over ladyfingers, and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle pistachio nuts evenly over top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Recipe by Sharon Oddson.